Follow-up for Small Group 6
The barbecue at the Walker’s house is this Saturday at 4:00 p.m. Bring the kids and your appetites!
Here’s the map to the house:
Matt and Emma Walker
1507 Grayson Drive
Feel free to call at 875-2178.
In this lesson, Dave teaches the importance of doing with our lives that which we love. Do you look forward to Monday? If not, how can you work toward that dream job that doesn’t feel like a job at all?
- The average job in America is now 3.2 years in length.
- The key to power in our careers is to first look at ourselves.
- Plan your work around your life rather than planning your life around your work.
- Complete your Personal Inventory and Occupational Categories worksheets this week.
- Complete your Personal Mission Statement worksheet before next week’s class.
- Chapter 9: Cucumbers, Collectors & Credit Reports
- Chapter 22: The End… Or Just the Beginning?
Dave teaches us the best way to buy and sell a house and the difference between a 15- and 30-year mortgage, plus the best ways to finance a home.
- If you can’t do the 100% down plan, get a payment of no more than 25% of your take home pay on a 15-year fixed rate loan, with at least 10% down.
- Chapter 6: Career Choice
Dave warns us about how we are being marketed to and teaches us the keys to developing the power over purchases. Are you aware of the number of advertising messages you (and your KIDS!) are exposed to each day? Resolve NOW to become an informed, intelligent consumer.
- Learn the marketing method companies use to market products and services to you. Now you can be in control!
- Wait 24 hours before making a major purchase – larger than $200.
- Always talk to your spouse before making a major purchase.
- Finish the third column of your Financial Snapshot.
- Complete and bring your next month’s budget to class.
- Chapter 13: Buy Only Big, Big Bargains (Real Estate Bargains, Owner Financing Bonanza)
Dave takes the confusion out of retirement investing. He teaches about the Roth IRA, how much to put into various plans (i.e. SEPP, 401k, 403b), and how to best fund our children’s college education.
- Independence in retirement is up to you. Don’t depend on Social Insecurity.
- Fund college education only after you are funding your retirement.
- If you don’t have a will, get one TODAY!
Dave helps us learn the types of coverage we need when it comes to health insurance, homeowner and car insurance, life insurance, and disability insurance.
- Make insurance coverage a priority to avoid a financial disaster.
- Learn the types of insurance you really need and get them NOW!
- Bring a calculator to class next week.
- Complete the Insurance Coverage Recap sheet.
- Chapter 12: Of Mice and Mutual Funds (begin with Funding Those Golden Rocking Chairs)
Dave explains the difference between stocks, bonds, mutual funds, CDs, annuities, and WHERE WE CAN GET the very BEST RETURN on OUR HARD-EARNED MONEY.
- The best way to invest is to be OUT OF DEBT first.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket – diversify.
- Only work with investment advisors who have the heart of a teacher.
- Complete column 2 of your Financial Snapshot
- Chapter 11: “KISS” Your Money (begin with Insurance)